Sunday, September 23, 2018

The iPhone XS is surprisingly tough to crack

I've done my fair share of drop tests in my time at CNET, and I've never come out of one without a broken phone. Until now. The iPhone XS didn't crack.
I took Apple's new iPhone XS through my typical four-drop tests, the same one that cracked last year's iPhone X on the first fall. But while the new iPhone XS looks a lot like last year's X, with a stainless steel frame and glass on either side, this time it may just be that glass that sets the iPhone XS apart -- and above.
At last week's launch, Phil Schiller, Apple's marketing chief, said the iPhone XS is "covered on the front and the back with a new formulation of glass that is the most durable glass ever in a smartphone."
This isn't the first time we've heard this from Apple. In fact, Apple also said that last year's 2017 iPhone lineup had "the most durable glass ever built into a smartphone," and you know what happened to our iPhone X.
I subjected a brand-new gold iPhone XS to a series of drops on the cement sidewalk outside of CNET's San Francisco headquarters, the place where many of our phones have met their doom.

0 comments:

Post a Comment